Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday Night the World Around!

Hi again!  I am back in the throws of the mysteries of art.  OK.  So here's my problem.  I have this found object that is kind of cool, and tomorrow morning we are going to dip it into plaster and make a sculpture around it... but what do I sculpture around it?  Do I make something that is recognizable, like a frog, or a motorcycle, or a submarine?  Or do I make it totally abstract and unrelated to anything recognizable?  I don't know.  The problem is of course that I am once again in a totally new artful territory.  The only sculpture I have done is playing with play do.  And I really am at a loss as to where to begin.  I am frustrated with this part of art.  I prefer instruction when I am first learning some new skill.  Sigh! It feels like I am once again instructing myself.  I think I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to draw it out first:)  Oh well, this too shall pass. Hey wait!  I just had a marvelous idea:)  I am going to make some playdo and try it out on this plastic runner of a water hammer arrestor!  See?  Blogging is so helpful!
I did find a most wonderful article today while researching artists for my illustration class.  It is a satire on what art is.  You may enjoy this as much as I did.  Here is the link. Express Yourself  It made me laugh right out loud!  Of course I am in the middle of all of the theories and things they are pushing as art.  It is an old article...96.  So if you are already acquainted with it...sorry:)
I already am loving my illustration class.  Today we got our first assignment...which is to draw or paint or digitalize something with an implied narrative.  He gave a lot of examples.  My favorite is Chris Van Allsburg's "The Mysteries of Harris Burdick".  Maybe I like him so much because he was born in the same year I was.  No, I think it is because he is an amazing illustrator.
Two weeks passed and it happened again.
In this book he has several illustrations like the one on the left here with just a hint of what is going on.  It makes the reader want to know more.  And so that is what we are supposed to do for this next assignment.  I think I can do it if I can come up with a good idea.  We shall see.
In my painting class we watched a movie called "The 5 Obstructions".  I only had to hide my eyes for a small part of it.  Most of it was quite interesting...I think.  I am still deciding.  My teacher thinks it is life changing:)
Well, I had better get back to sketching and molding weird plaster carvings.  Take care out there in cyberspace!  I'm pulling from this side!  HAVVVGFHE!!!  Melody

No comments: