Thursday, February 16, 2012

Misty Memories

Good morning!  I sure had a lot of dreams last night.  In one of them I was back on that icy road on my way to school!  That really did scare me.  Another one brought back some memories of San Lorenzo and Hayward that I thought I should record, since I will probably soon forget them if I don't:)  When I was 8 years old my folks decided to move from San Lorenzo to Castro Valley and so they bought a lot and started building.  Of course to do that we had to sell the house we were in.  I don't remember much of those details, but I do remember that after the house sold we had to move.  The first rental was just down the street....about five houses down I think.  I don't remember a lot, but I do remember our cat started having her kittens.  Unfortunately she was a very young cat and things did not go well and she tore something inside so that she was in pain.  I remember her jumping from one moving box to another, and dropping kittens on her way.  My mother was pregnant with my littlest sister and it was especially upsetting to her.  We gathered all of the kittens up and kept them warm.  But we had to take the mommy cat to the vet.  It didn't make it, so then we had all of these little kittens to try to keep alive.  One by one they died.  They didn't used to have kitten formula the way they do now, and we were probably feeding them the wrong stuff.  I can remember milk coming out through their noses.  So sad!  We buried the kittens one by one as they died.  I can remember being sad, but realizing that my mom was even sadder.  I just thought I would record that memory.  My little sister probably doesn't even know the trauma my mom went through right before she had her.
The other memory was in the next house we rented.  It was in Hayward, a couple of blocks from downtown....right next to the railroad tracks.  We lived there for a few months before we moved into our new house.  There was a family next door with a bunch of boys.   There was one my age.  He was somewhat of an adventurer.  One thing I remember doing with him was putting coins on the railroad tracks and waiting for the train to come and run over them.  That was really cool, but probably kind of dangerous.  The other thing I remember is catching bees.  I had a fascination for bees.  We would catch bees by stomping on them in the clover, not too hard, just enough to stun them.  Then we would carefully pick them up and place them on our pant legs and watch them crawl around in a stunned fashion til they finally got their bearings and flew away.  I don't think I made this method up.  I learned it from him:)  Amazingly we never got stung.   He and his brothers also liked to jump off of their roof...which was quite high I think.  I never tried that....thank Heaven!  I wonder where their mom was now:)
The other vivid memory I have is when my sister was born and my Aunt Ida came to stay with us.  She walked all three of us kids downtown to the corner store to get Shasta!  It was warm...Diane was born on June 30, so those drinks were wonderful!  I had never heard of a Shasta before then, so I was really impressed.
Well, I hope I haven't bored you too much.  I thought they were kind of interesting memories.  And now they are recorded:)  And I had better get going!  I hope you have a most wonderful day out there in cyberspace!  Take care and remember I am still pulling for you!  We're all in this together!!!!  HAVVVVVVVGW!!!!!  Melody

No comments: