Thursday, February 16, 2012

Quotes for the Day

Good evening!  I am home and sooooo glad to be here.  School was hard today.  I just need a thicker skin...and good quotes from famous sources:)  I am smiling!
In sculpture I am going to tackle Half Dome:)  Or at least I am going to design it for someone else to tackle.  Mel suggested I could use a topo map to figure it out.  I have to have the plans all done by Tuesday.  And then I have to buy the materials for someone else to make my design.  And of course I will get someone else's in return.
 In my drawing class I came up with an idea that my teacher liked.  I am going to drop rocks:)  Actually I am going to drop rocks dipped in house paint  (whatever colors I can find in the Oops paint pile) down onto a long board or plank.  I will have to take a picture of this one in order to explain it.  But I think it will be fun!  And I will feel a little like Jackson Pollock I think...splashing paint every which way.  I will have to do this in our big room at school and even then I will need to protect the floor somewhat.  I am planning to stand on a ladder and drop a few rocks, then move the ladder down and drop a few more.  And no, I don't have some great meaning behind this, although I suppose I could tie it into how much I hate bombs dropping....or how the earth evolves through flood and avalanches.  But I really don't think I should have to come up with an explanation.  Unfortunately, my teacher expects an artist's statement.  So I will have to think of something!  I will have to look up Jackson's reasons for his paintings:)  I remember  an artist in one of the many films I have watched saying, "I'm an artist...it must be art!"  I can't remember who said it, but I thought it was funny.  I really like this better though, by Salvador Dali, "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it."
Well, I just thought I would check in and assure the world I am still alive and kicking.  And I am glad I am.  I thoroughly enjoy all of the students I am meeting and getting to know.  Each one is so interesting. And I am finding that I like them all.  And I am glad I am not having to compete with any of them!  They are all so talented...and miles ahead of me in many ways.  I hope your day has gone well.  Keep smiling!   Life is wonderful!  Here is one of my favorite youtube clips...art sculptures by Andy Goldsworthy.  Rivers and Tides part one  Enjoy!   HAVVVVGE!!!  Melody

No comments: