Monday, March 5, 2012

Dancing Again! At least in my head!

Good afternoon!  It's warm here today.  It's supposed to get up to 65 degrees!  And then tomorrow it is supposed to snow and drop to 38.  These are strange and crazy weather patterns we are having lately.  I am sure the people of Illinois, Indiana, and all of the other states getting tornadoes would agree!  I do hope it calms down and settles into Spring soon.  Although, then the weeds will start growing, and I don't have any time to spare for them.
I am feeling a teensy bit better today about my artistic talent.  Not that I have improved at all, but my painting teacher told me I was learning, even if it was slow.  He said that I didn't expect to learn things overnight, did I?  And I guess the answer would be yes:)  But of course I know that is not going to happen.  So I will be patient with myself.  Here is the progress I have made with my mirror painting.  Don't laugh!!! It will get better.  And maybe I can even make the girl in the mirror look a little like me:)
I took this last night.  Today in class I painted some more people into the background, and my teacher gave me a few more pointers on how to paint the women in front.  So maybe eventually I will get this done.  I hope so because I am starting on a new painting this week.  I have decided to do a wave.  But I think I may use two canvases and make it kind of interesting.  We shall see.
In illustration class my teacher finally allowed that I probably needed to put a ballet dancer into my poster that will advertise a ballet production of Don Quixote. There seems to be quite a prejudice about painting dancers within our art department.  I am not sure why, but I have run into it a couple of times.  And perhaps it is a reflection of a larger prejudice in our society about men dancing.  I do not share in this at all, having grown up with ballet and having nephews involved in  it, but I recognize that it exists.  And it is a shame.  Most cultures embrace men dancing and I think they are richer for it.  It is the same for men singing.  At least it is so in our church congregations  here.  About 10 or 11 years old, the young boys begin to become embarrassed to sing.  When I was a primary chorister I would see it happen, and of course I would do all in my power to combat it.  Oh well.  How did I get off on this tangent?
Well, I have my paper to finish and post on Blackboard still.  I have to post it by midnight to get it done on time.  I have it mostly written, but I want to make sure it makes sense.  Other than that I just have illustrations of Don Quixote to do and then a sketch for my next painting.  I am still very tired from our trip!  So I may take a little power nap before I start in on the long haul.
I hope all is well and happy in your neck of the woods!  I am still pulling for you!  Take care!!!  Melody

No comments: