Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Finding My Way!

Good morning! I am laughing!  And I am excited for today.  I watched the painting portion of the instructional video yesterday and last night, and it is all amazing and wonderful.  So today I want to try doing what I watched.  I have been sooooo struggling with the flesh tones in my mirror painting, but Donato laid out his whole palette and used colors I would not have dared to use.  So I think I will test it out and if I can get it to work, I will try it on my mirror girl.  I have to admire Donato's honesty.  He is so forward with his methods.  I really appreciate that.  Greg Manchess mentioned how a group of them (illustrators) were trying to take the mystery out of painting, and it really is helpful.  They have a sight, Muddy Colors, that is all about doing that.
And I have been reading Jungle Book.  I guess I have never read this before.  I was certain I had, but apparently not.  And it is actually very entertaining, and I think it is giving me some good ideas for my drawing.  I am thinking of putting a tiger on the path, and a boy behind the panther.  I am still figuring out how to do this and trying to find good references.  I hope I haven't colored in too much to make it possible. And I hope my instructor doesn't mind my leap into illustration.  He may not like it, but if I just go ahead with it....oh well:)  I think at some point I am going to have to assert myself.  I just don''t like doing that much.  I like everyone to be happy....which of course is not always possible.
I realize I haven't talked much about Mel's move into his new shop.  I think it is going well.  It sure looks nice.  He is not all crowded up into a small space anymore, and it looks tons better.  Now if he can just keep all of the machines running 24/7.  That is kind of a trick.  Yesterday the heater went out on one of the machines.  He doesn't have new machines, so he is generally fixing something pretty regularly.  His new, replacement machine arrived yesterday.  It is not new...'94 I think, but it is in good shape we think. He will know today when he hooks it up to the power.  I keep driving by and running in to look at how things are coming.  It is an exciting thing.  But I do miss having him here at home.  I am glad I am involved with school, or I might be sad.
Well, what else?  I feel like I am so obsessed with school work that I don't look up much.  But that is a good thing.  I like being occupied and I definitely am.  Although somedays I do wonder about it all.  You know those voices that say, "What in the world do you think you are doing?"  But I largely ignore them now and just go forward.  I like what I am doing and whether I ever influence anyone for good with it remains to be seen.  I hope I do.  I guess I hope I can write children's books....especially for children stuck in the hospital with chemo treatments.  And of course I would love to learn to paint beautiful pictures to hang in the temple.....but if I don't reach that goal, at least I am trying, and that is a good thing.  It gives me purpose and direction, which I was definitely lacking when all of the kids left home.
Well, I hope your day is happy and inspired out there in cyberspace.  I am still pulling for you!!!!  We're all in this together!  Ain't it grand?  Take care and HAVVVVVVGW!!!!  Melody

No comments: