Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Still Smiling!!!

Hi again!  This has been a good day!  I am still smiling:)  Classes were good.  I got all things turned in and I think I am doing well...I did get back some evaluations on my drawings in my drawing class.  I'm not sure about any of my grades yet though.  So funny.....soooooo subjective!  Not like chemistry or math where you get what you earn from homework and test grades.  Things were correct or incorrect.  Art is more like my English classes...minus the grammar.  Even in English we had tests...but they were often essay questions which are also very subjective.  In art it is more about what the teacher thinks of you and how hard he thinks you are working.  And of course how much he likes your work.  The frustrating thing for me is that I want to become a better artist...better at drawing accurately, better at using the right color of paints, how thick or thin,  better at sculpting, etc.  But what we are taught is more about theory...modern theory.  And I must confess it is mostly about concepts.  I have seen fabulous artwork down graded because the concept wasn't what the teacher thought it should be.  Maybe I will get used to this, but I doubt it.  Oh well, enough about me.  Oh wait...this is a blog:)  I almost forgot.  So more about me...or at least about life as I see it.
Max is doing better since his second surgery.  He is getting to be an expensive dog!  But I am glad he is getting better.  I was very sad when I wasn't sure that he would.
Well, I have another research paper to do on Wangetchi Mutu.  It is due on Thursday.  She is an artist from Kenya who went to school in the US.  I like her work, except for the names she gives things.  But she is a feminist so what can I say?  I am just reporting on her work.  I hope all is well with you!  Take care out there in cyberspace!  I'm still pulling for you!!!  We're all in this together!  HAVVVVVVVVVGN!!!  Me

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I can relate on this one a little bit. In nursing they stress theory more than practical. The Nurses that were really good usually were the ones with more practical skills. Although theory is very important. Just a thought! I think your art work is awesome and I love that you are pursuing this dream. Blessings to you!