Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Enjoying the New Year

Hola!  It's a fine day here.  Julie and family left to go ice skating... so the house is quiet.  And yes, I am liking the quiet.  That is weird I know, but I guess I have really made the transition to being an old grandma.  I am sure of it every time I pass a mirror.  But not sad about it for the most part.  I am enjoying being the old person....ha, ha, ha!  That'll be the day!!!  I wished so much I could hop in the car and go ice skating too!  I used to be a great skater!!!  We used to skate a lot when I was young.  My favorite place was in San Francisco.  They used to have an ice skating rink next to the Cliff House.
This is how it looks now...
Joy and I climbed along this wall a few years back.
Of course it is all changed now.  Just like me.  Even if I could skate I wouldn't.  It would be a "risky" activity with blood thinners....as you probably are aware:(  But I am enjoying the day here with Mel.  He showed me all of the youtube videos he likes right now...mostly of people singing "Les Miserables".  They have the 10th anniversary on there.  And then he got sidetracked by the Susan Boyle rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream", and that led to America's Got Talent.  There are a bunch of good ones on there.  It was fun to watch.  Now he is watching the Stanford game.  I watched it a little while, but decided I should probably blog a little while the internet is working.  I think part of the problem with the internet is all the kids here have access to ipads and iphones and laptops and xboxes, and there is just not enough to go around.  Kinda funny I guess.
So, what else is happening here?  Not too much really.  I am still sick...coughing and headache and generally feeling lousy.  But I usually get a winter cold, so I guess this is just life as normal.  I think it is weird that the year has changed to 2014 already.  I am happy to be alive.  It is weird to think I came so close to crossing over:)  I still don't believe it.  Some days I think it might have been nice....no more worries.  But then I am not sure if we don't worry on the other side, so I guess I would rather stay here where I am familiar with the territory for now:)  And maybe there will be less to worry about in 2014!
I hope this New Year's day is finding you well and happy and full of great hope for the future.  I think this year my goal will be to enter the church's art contest....I am still figuring it all out.  The theme is "Stories of Jesus".  That sounds rather challenging, but interesting too.  And of course to continue learning all that I can about drawing and painting.  I hope you have a wonderful year...and evening!  HAVVVVVVVVVVGW!!!!  Melody

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

You should for sure enter the Ensign art contest; that would be awesome. I used to ice skate on a canal in Richfield, Utah; that was eons ago.
I like to watch other people ice skate. I remember well when I had our daughter and her 4 girls living with us; how I relished the peaceful moments when they left for a short while.
I hadn't even thought about listening to some of my favorite singers on You Tube; I will have to try that one.
I think 2014 came way to fast. I already feel behind.
Hope you are feeling better soon.
Blessings and hugs!