Sunday, January 5, 2014

Gentle Savior, Thou wilt guide us!

Guten Abend!  It has been a great day today.  It did feel as if we had the spirit of the Lord in our home.  Hunter (6) came into my room this morning to talk.  I think he has just learned about fasting and had decided he would fast this morning.  He wanted to make sure I was too.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that I can't with my medication.  But I listened to his six year old reasoning about prayer and fasting.  He told me that when you fast it means that you don't eat breakfast or lunch.  And that whatever you ask for will come true...like a wish.  I asked him what he was fasting for but he wasn't quite sure.  Then he told me that prayers were different.  You didn't always get your wish:)  I talked to him about how Heavenly Father sometimes says no...just like his daddy.  And I told him about the time I had prayed that all of the drinking fountains at school would have lemonade....and what did he think Heavenly Father had answered for that one?  It's funny though.  I can't really remember anymore if I really prayed for that, or if someone else told me that story.  This memory thing is getting serious!
I was talking to my dad on the phone tonight.  He called to wish me a Happy New Year.  He said he couldn't remember if he already had or not, but he was being careful to make sure he hadn't forgotten.  Then he said something like..."This ol' brain has so much stuff in it from over 90 years, that there doesn't seem to be much room for anything new."  I laughed, but I know just what he means.  It feels like my head is stuffed with so much that I am not sure what is fact or fiction up there anymore.  Kinda weird.  So many memories are kind of half there.  And others are clear as if they had just happened.  And some are so clear I can feel like I am back in the moment.
In church today, Julie and Randy and their seven kids sat with us.  Randy was released from his position in the bishopric in his old ward last week, so they can come to our ward now.  It should make things lots easier for them not having to travel back and forth to Wilder.  We sat behind a few families with very small children.  The one right in front of us had a two year old who had brought his cars and trucks....probably a bad idea.  He kept crashing them on the bench...really loud!  And then he put them all in the book holder and stirred them up.  It was kind of funny, but also very loud.  I could see that his parents were trying so hard to be patient, but by the end of sacrament his dad pulled him out...kicking and screaming.  It was good in a way.  I think it made Julie and Randy feel like they were really in control of their relatively quiet bunch.  And it made me sooooooo grateful to be a grandma...no longer the primary caretaker of these little yahoos!
After church we had a dinner with Amy and her family, Kim and part of her family, and of course Julie and her family.  It was nice to have three of my daughters here, and especially nice to see Amy's boys who are visiting for Christmas break.  They live with their dad in Sparks, so we don't see them much.  They have gotten so tall and handsome!  I was glad I had invested in this huge roast I bought at Costco.  I wasn't going to buy it because it was pretty expensive.  But I was standing next to a lady and her husband that were also looking at the big roasts.  I overheard her say to him, "But this is lots cheaper than if we took them all out to eat!"  I loved her logic and put this huge 15 pound top sirloin into my basket.  It was soooo delicious!  I haven't had a good roast like that for some time!  And everyone else really enjoyed it too.  And there was plenty...an important fact when you are feeding teen age boys!!!
I also should mention that the five year old's primary class went well too.  Mel and Julie both came in with me, so that I didn't have to do all of the teaching alone.  One of the little boys, Max, is quite gregarious. He might overwhelm one teacher.  I was glad for the help.  And dare I add...glad that I am not their permanent teacher.  It takes so much energy!
Well, that was my Sabbath Day....very full of good family feelings.  Good friend feelings too.  We had a few couples come up to us and offer their home as a retreat for Mel and I if we should need it.  And they were serious!  :)  So I hope all is well and happy in cyberspace tonight.  I am pulling for you!  We're all in this together!!!  Have a great night!!!!!!  Melody

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

It sounds like you had a lovely and busy Sabbath day. How wonderful to have your daughters there.
I enjoyed your conversation with your grandson on fasting; it was sweet.
Keep trying to rest with all that is going on within your home is enough to make me want to take a nap.
Blessings and hugs for you!