Sunday, February 2, 2014

Shalom!

Howdy!  It has been a very nice Sunday.  Church was especially nice because Taylor and Alex came with Mel and I.  But also because the whole Tongan LDS community of Nampa and Caldwell came to our ward.  There was a baby blessing, very sweet little baby girl.  After the blessing, several of her family got up to bear testimony.  Pure, sweet testimonies, that brought tears to my eyes, even when I wasn't sure what they were saying.  A couple of the older men had very thick accents, and it was really hard to hear every word.  But the feelings were so strong, of good will and strong testimonies of the Savior.  It was quite an amazing meeting.  I didn't bear my testimony until Relief Society.  But the spirit in that meeting was also very strong, and I have grown so close to the sisters in my ward.  We were reminded of Pres. Eyrings' talk from 2007, Oh, Remember, Remember, about recording each day the way that the Lord has touched our families.  I thought that I should work harder at that.  It is probably not the proper forum to record it here.  So I am going to record it by writing it down in a journal each evening...after we have our scripture reading and prayers.  The teacher is a good friend of mine, in fact my next door neighbor who shares my name, and she used a story about a walk we took together with my grandson Taylor.  And how he sang a Family Home Evening song we sing in our family.  She said he knew every word, and he was only about 4.  She said she recorded in her special journal that she had felt the evidence of God in her life that day.  It really touched me that she would remember that.  And it made me more determined to be a good grandma!!!! Not just to Taylor, but to all of my wonderful grandchildren.  They are each so special, and I love them so much.  I want them to be sure and know that!  And a journal would help me to remember to tell them.
I have been impressed with the Tongan family in our ward many times.  I guess I don't really think of them as "the Tongan family".  They are the Vassi's.  And their daughter, Lupe, was in the MIA maid class I taught a few years ago.  She always impressed me with her warmth and pure love.  She always thanked me for my lesson and told me I was her favorite teacher:)  I think she tells that to all her teachers.  Anyway, I have been so impressed with her family.  There is so much love and regard between siblings, and real fondness and concern.  I have wondered how her family has fostered such good feelings.  It is pretty amazing! Of course they are not perfect, but this is an area that I could learn from them I think.
In other news, we have had a great day here at home too.  I keep thinking how I am really going to miss this rowdy bunch of grandchildren.  They are a real joy.  And of course, Taylor is going to miss them even more.   He told me they are his best friends.  I can remember feeling that way about my cousins.  We always had such a great time together.
Well, I should get back to the family.  I think we have Downton Abbey and Sherlock Holmes lined up for this evening...at least on the DVR.  I doubt I can stay awake to watch it all.  But it is nice to record it and watch it later at a better time.  I am pretty sure the Superbowl is being recorded for later watching too.  I hope all is well in cyberspace.  I listened to Click and Clack on NPR and thought I should end this by saying, "Don't drive like my brother!"  But actually my brother is not a bad driver....anymore.  He used to scare me when we were younger:)  Oh well.  Take care and remember I am pulling for you!  And HAVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVPeaceful Sabbath Evening!  Melody

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I so love a good spiritually uplifting Sabbath day. We had a good one too.
My husband and I work in the temple on Saturdays. We have Samoan and Tongan sessions twice a month. As a group they will sit in the back of the chapel. They then sing several hymns in their native language. It is just beautiful. I have shed tears when I hear them.
Blessings and hugs!