Monday, March 17, 2014

A Bit o' the Irish in My Veins

Happy St. Patty's Day!
I think this is a great holiday...mostly cuz I love Irish blessings.  And because I have been working on my painting for class tomorrow.  I actually have two that are due.  This one is one we have been working on in class.  But he let us bring it home to finish.


I am pretty happy with it, except I had a really hard time with the reflection in the mirror.  But oh well.  I really don't understand what he wants in the reflection...a different color scheme.  And mine is pretty purple:)  I just keep reminding myself that I haven't done this before and I can practice until I get better at it.
I am going to spend the rest of today working on my still life...imprimatura and dead palette.  That is our homework.  It is tons easier since it is a cup and a made up bird and snail...and not a person.  I think people are hardest to paint.  But I love the challenge of all the different skin tones and subtle changes.  And the challenge of making it painterly...not photographerly.  I guess that is probably my biggest challenge.  I like when it looks more real.  But not really.  Ha, ha!  I love painters who have taken reality and pumped it up a little.  Like Cezanne and Turner.  And even Picasso.  Yeah, I have really been influenced by these guys.
So I hope St. Patrick is kind to you.  Here are a few of those blessings I like so well.  Have a most wonderful day!  I will try not to get blown away!!  The wind is pretty fierce here today!!!!!!  Melody


1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I hope you know how much I love seeing your painting. I love to watch you progressing in your assignments. I can't imagine how hard it would be to paint a person. I would have to just be a landscape artist.
Thanks for all the Irish blessings; they have some great ones.
Blessings and hugs for you!