Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Hallelujah!

Good morning!  I promised an explanation for my hallelujah shout yesterday.  Monday night our stake patriarch and former general authority of the church (a seventy I think), gave his thoughts in an empty nester's family home evening.  He was so inspiring!  I love his kindness and have admired him for many years.  And I love to listen to him speak.  He began by reminding us of a testimony given in stake conference by a young girl from the Congo.  She has been adopted here and her mother here decided to join the LDS church.  She wasn't happy about this at first, but as she went to young women's activities she began to see the reason her mother had wanted to join.  She was so enthusiastic in her testimony that she was a daughter of God, and how that had changed everything for her and given her a feeling of belonging to God's family.  I remember thinking how hard it is for young people being adopted at an older age to really feel like they are a part of their new family.  I was impressed by her enthusiasm.  President Washburn (he also used to be a president of something...stake?) said it made him want to shout, "Hallelujah!" to hear her sweet and sincere conviction that she was a daughter of God.  Then he talked about how he felt we had been instructed in three ways by our stake president.
1. We needed to pray in our families for the companionship of the Holy Ghost.  He felt that most of us don't have that companionship because we fail to ask for it, not because we are unworthy.
2. We needed to attend the temple as often as we are able....an acceptable offering of time to the Lord.  He said we should go to the temple and ask the Lord what an acceptable offering of time meant to Him in our particular circumstance.  He said for him, a widower and retired older man, that he went Tuesday through Friday...most of the day I think.  I know when I worked at the temple I almost always saw him there.  He told us we would be endowed with power...sufficient to bless the lives of those we are concerned for in our families.  He quoted D & C 109: 22 "And we ask thee, Holy Father, that thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power, and that thy name may be upon them, and thy glory be round about them, and thine angels have charge over them."
I thought that was really inspired.  And it helps me as I worry about different things.  I just need to stay calm and go to the temple:)  I have been trying to remember what the third thing was.  Sorry, but I guess it has gone to that special place in my memory where the synapses have been corrupted.  So I may remember later...or not.  Sigh!
Well, I guess I am off to get Taylor for an afternoon with Grandma.  I love being with him, so I am looking forward to that.  Hope all is well in cyberspace!  I am still pulling for you!!!!  HAVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVGW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Melody

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I really enjoyed this post. I love Stake Conference we have ours in a couple of weeks. We will miss the Sunday session because our grandson has his farewell talk for his mission. Of course, I am very excited about that.
I loved the Hallelujah thoughts. I do think that the most important thing is to ask for and feel the inspiration of the Holy Ghost. I of course, love the temple and love working in it.
Blessings and hugs for this one!