Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sabbath Day

Good day!  I love Sunday, and today and yesterday we had stake conference...so it is like Sunday for two days.  We had a great evening meeting last night.  It is usually just for adults, but last night they invited all of the youth 12 years old and older.  And mostly the meeting was for them.  I liked seeing them all there.  They asked them to stand at one point in the meeting, and Mel said, "We should stand up too!"  Such a kidder.
Today's meeting was also very good.  At both meetings we listened to speakers who talked about "the hastening".  It is a phrase that means the hastening of the Lord's work before the second coming.  It is rather exciting to think about. Mostly they talked about family history and missionary work.  I need to get involved in family history again.  I love it, and it has a great promise given in October of 2012's conference by Elder Richard G. Scott.  "Do you young people want a sure way to eliminate the influence of the adversary in your life? Immerse yourself in searching for your ancestors, prepare their names for the sacred vicarious ordinances available in the temple, and then go to the temple to stand as proxy for them to receive the ordinances of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. As you grow older, you will be able to participate in receiving the other ordinances as well. I can think of no greater protection from the influence of the adversary in your life."  That is quite a blessing.  I want to have that more in my own life.
Today the phrase that most caught my attention was "Don't take counsel from your fears."  I have heard that before, but it really hit me today.  Probably because as I am growing older, and life is changing in so many ways, I have a lot of fears.  So I like that I shouldn't listen to those fears.  Instead we are supposed to take counsel from the prophets.  I like that.  I listen to them a lot and I do try to take their counsel.
I like to include pictures in my blog.  So here is one of my little dog, Mugsy.  He is usually by my side, or at my feet.  He is a sweet little dog.
I think he is due for a haircut!!!
My daughter Julie, her husband Randy and all seven of their children, 2 dogs, and a cat, arrived safely last night in Oklahoma City.  We got a text from her today saying, "Have you ever seen lightning in a snow storm?  I have!"  I guess the weather is already interesting there.  I am glad they are safe in their new home.
Well, I hope all is safe and well in cyberspace today. Take care, and HAVVVVVVVVVVVVVGW!!!  Melody

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I always love Stake Conferences.
I enjoyed your thought on this.
I read an article not too long ago that stated that if children get into Family History and read the stories of their ancestors it helps them stay true to the faith.
"Don't take counsel from your fears". I have a lot of fears too since growing older. I try to read or listen to uplifting thoughts and I think that helps me be more positive. I am happy that your children arrived safely.
Blessings and hugs for you!