Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Truth Reflects upon Our Senses

Good morning!  It is beautiful and sunny here today.  And I have been thinking of all of the wonderful messages I have heard so far from conference.  I think I will take some time today to listen to the parts I missed.  It is wonderful that you can watch, listen and now read all of the messages.  Here is the link. Conference messages.  One of my favorite is Elder Nelson's talk about truth and faith.  But I really have enjoyed all the ones I have heard so far.  It is so evident to me that the spirit of the meeting is one of truth.
Which brings me to something else.  Yesterday when we were painting in class, our teacher talked about telling a narrative in our head as we are painting...which I always do.  And especially painting in imprimatura, things are a little mysterious at first and you can make up all kinds of stories.  Anyway, the teacher came by my painting and said that he loved how it was progressing....that he could tell there was a story of someone in the painting.  He went on to tell me what he saw.  So then I asked him if he would like to know the story I had in my mind?  He said yes, so I told him how often as I paint I think of Tommy and I had been doing that.  One of the models was holding a book, and I thought of how many times I had read stories to Tommy.  The other model was lying expressionless and it reminded me of Tommy dying and how I couldn't read to him anymore.  It is kind of morbid I guess, but I do tell myself stories as I paint that no one might guess.  I think I got my teacher a little teary eyed.  He liked my story though.  And it made me think, when I am not in a class anymore, I can tell the real stories that are in my head....or in other words, the true stories.  And it reminded me how very important it is to paint as true as is possible.  Does this make sense?  It does to me.  And as I was painting yesterday, it occurred to me that that is the part of painting I have not enjoyed at school....that I am discouraged from painting what is really in my heart.  So I hope I can learn to paint truth.  It will make it all so fun!  I remember Leon Parsons talking about how he tries to paint things as close to the truth as possible.  I think he meant that he paints naturalistically...or realistically.  But I think it is also important to paint the real truth...the truth of the gospel, of Christ and His atonement and resurrection...of eternal families and the relationships that are formed there.  I am anxious to do that.  And I hope I am learning the skills that will allow me to do that.
Well, I guess I had better get to the pressing things around here...laundry mostly.  And a few organizational matters...like my closets!!!   I hope all is well and happy in cyberspace today.  I am pulling for you!  We're all in this together!!!!  HAVVVVVVVVVVVVGW!!!!!  Melody

No comments: