Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Getting Organized

Good morning!  My computer just announced that it is nine o'clock.  I love that feature!  I lose all track of time when I am reading, and especially when I am on the computer.  So it is nice that a little voice reminds me of the time.
I wanted to report that I saw pelicans yesterday!  Two big gorgeous birds!  I think they were a couple.  They danced right over my head as I was headed out to town yesterday.  I tried to take a video, but it didn't come out too well.  The sun was so bright that I couldn't tell where they were in my view finder, and I mostly missed them.  But they were so beautiful!  They are still in my memory, very clear.
The other fun thing was that Taylor and Alex came for a visit last night.  They love it here, and played in the backyard most of the time.  I got a shot of them filling the sandbox up with water from the hose.  It isn't a very good picture, but at least you can get some idea of the affection shared between these two brothers.
And it reminds me that I need to get out and weed around the sandbox!!!!  So much to do...so little time.  And I am not fond of weeding these days.
I am planning a day of food storage organization today.  I have a couple dozen buckets in the garage full of wheat.  I bought them when we first moved to Boise and all of the kids were still home.  I think originally I had 1800 lbs. of wheat.  There is nearly that much still.  I am not very good at rotating the wheat.  I am not too sure what I will do with it.  I have heard all of the stories about how it lasts forever.  But I am sure that it really doesn't.  Wheat grains are a living thing, and they die over enough time.  We had a botanist speak in our ward some years ago and he explained how eventually the grain dies.  One way to test if it is still alive is to sprout it.  So I guess that will be the first step...to see if it will sprout.  And then I need to see what we are still in need of for our food storage.  A few years back I had it all in order and up to snuff.  But since then we have had a few of our kids and families move home and have depleted it considerably.  There is a website put out by the church on food storage.  Here is a link if you are interested.  Food storage  It is a good idea to prepare for an emergency as we have seen in the last decade with so many people facing hardship.  And besides, Mel has a responsibility as a high councilman to encourage family preparedness.  I am glad because I will try a little harder to get things back in order.
And then there is painting.  I keep thinking I will get to it, but things keep coming up...mostly kids and grandkids.  So it is all good.  I will eventually get to it.  As I have said before, I am sooooo grateful we do not depend on my skills to earn us a living.  But I do love painting, so I know I will get to it soon.
And in the meantime....I hope all is well and happy in cyberspace today!  Take care and HAVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVGW!!!!!  Melody

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I hope you can get time to paint too. I know what it is like to want to do something you enjoy. I enjoy reading a novel and for some reason I can't ever get to it.
Food storage is another issue. I think we have most of ours together. We do worry about our children have some. It is a day to be prepared.
Blessings and hugs for the reminders.