Saturday, May 3, 2014

Home Again!

I am home again.  It is such a welcome and warm place to be!  I have missed Mel and it is so nice to be able to sit and visit.  However, the trip to Women's Conference was wonderful and I am so glad I went.  It was good to spend some time with Michelle and her two girls, Madeline and Alyssa, and another daughter of mine, Kim, and my niece Clara.
Michelle, Kim, Me, Madeline, Clara and Alyssa in front



Me and Kim
 And it was especially nice to gather wisdom and knowledge from the speakers at Women's Conference.  My favorite was listening to Elder Cook.  He has such a sweet spirit about him, and he gave us such wise counsel!  He talked quite a while, and I cannot remember all that he told us:(  But luckily it will be broadcast again in May sometime.  I do remember quite a bit of what he said.  He talked a lot about what it meant to prosper in the land.  And he assured us that if we were not wealthy, it did not mean we had not prospered.  He said that he felt it meant that we had sufficient for our needs, and an abundance of spiritual blessings.  I loved all that he said about women and how we should know that the Lord values each one of us.  He talked about how he felt his wife was truly a saint and how good she had always been to him.  I think his words were very encouraging!  I hadn't realized that although they had both been raised in Logan, that they raised their family in the San Francisco area.  He talked about how important it was to have a strong faith in the Lord no matter where you lived, and that he felt a family could be raised to be righteous no matter where they were in the world.  It  really was inspiring.
Another talk I was impressed with was given by David Clare.  He talked about a woman's role in the priesthood and how to access the power of the priesthood...which he said was available to all.  He talked about how faith was the first principle for a reason and it was the first step in accessing the power of the priesthood.  Then he talked about righteousness as the second necessary step.  Maybe step is the wrong word.  But he encouraged us all to read or reread The Lectures on Faith.  I was glad he mentioned this because it is one of my favorite discourses on faith.  He asked who had read the Lectures on Faith and very few women raised their hands.  I was glad I could raise mine.  He then talked about how the School of the Prophets was attended by women as well as men and that we should read the history...so I will.
Anyway, for me it was a great experience and I really learned a lot and received another witness of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Oh, and one of the highlights for me was talking with Liz Lemon Swindle and seeing her latest paintings up close.  Follow Me was absolutely gorgeous!  And of course they had zillions of prints.  I had fun looking through them.  I also was able to talk with a representative of the publishing company that does her work.  Her name was Nancy I think.  She told me to send in images.  I told her I would when I had some to send:)  But it was fun to talk with her.  I did feel so inspired seeing others work though.  I have more ideas of what I want to do when school is over.
Oh, and Thursday's class was very productive.  I did an imprimatura of the painting I have to have finished by the end of next week.  I am hoping we get another week.  But anyway, it is turning out really nice so far.  I was a little embarrassed by the Prussian blue and Transparent red oxide paint that I couldn't clean from my fingernails before Women's Conference though.  I was in such a hurry to leave class on time that I didn't realize I hadn't gotten it all off of my hands.  Sigh!
I hope all is well in cyberspace tonight.  Take care!  Melody

No comments: