Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother

Happy Mother's Day!  I love this day, although I do miss my mom more on this day than most others.  She was an amazing lady.  And she has been my inspiration in so many ways.  She went back to school when she was 45 to get her master's degree.  She loved learning, and I know that has had a big impact on my life and thinking.  She was also kind and loving and very patient with me.  I think I was challenging as a curious little girl.  I loved reptiles!  Especially snakes!!!  And I also loved frogs. Both things my mother was not fond of, and tolerated for my sake.  I guess I hounded her about getting a puppy.  She finally gave in when I was 12 and brought home a little puppy in the pocket of her gray wool coat.  How I loved that dog!  But how much of his care was done by my mom.  She was very patient.  So thanks mom.  I don't think I told you that enough while you were still here.   And thanks for all the hours you spent ironing!  I am so glad for permanent press!  It has got to be one of the greatest inventions ever!
My mom with her Uncle Norm
Today has been nice.  Church was especially nice as the Bishop read responses to the question of "What would you like to tell your mom for Mother's Day?" from all the missionaries from our ward.  I think we have about 15 or 20.  A lot anyway, and it was fun to hear what they appreciated about their moms.  And I think the mothers were very touched!
Taylor said something today that touched my heart.  A friend said to him that he was with his grandma a lot, and it was good to see him.  He answered, "Yeah, there isn't anything that can keep me away from seeing my grandma!"  I liked that.
Mel and Taylor made me a batch of cookies:)  I ate one, but now I am full.  We may take the rest of them with us to Liz's when we drop Taylor off later this evening.  She likes chocolate chip cookies!  As we all do!
I should write so much more about the virtues of women and especially mothers.  I would but I am so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open.  So just know it would have been astounding!  I do love all the women who have raised me....my mom and grandmas and aunts and great aunts.  They were all wonderful!  I have been so blessed.  I hope today is great for you out in cyberspace!!!  Take care and remember I am pulling for you!!!!  Melody

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Lovely thoughts for a sweet day; thanks for sharing them.
I miss my dear mom too.
Wishing for you a very Happy Mother's Day.
Blessings and hugs for you!