Monday, October 13, 2014

Apes or Monkeys?

Life seems to have become busy again, which is a good thing.  But it does seem like I have a harder time writing about it.  Something that was told in sacrament meeting yesterday was just too good to pass up though.  The speaker was talking about his missionary experiences.  He said there was a companion of his who told a story of a woman in his last area who had recently become active.  She was married to an atheist.  Her grandson asked her where he had come from.  In school he had heard about evolution, and he wanted to know if it was true.  Had he really descended from apes and monkeys?  She told him, "No.  God placed Adam and Eve on the earth and they had children, and their children had children, and you are descended from them."  Somewhat relieved, but still questioning, he went to his grandfather, the atheist, and asked the same question.  His grandfather answered, "Yes, it is true.  Through the science of evolution apes evolved into men, and you are a descendent of the apes."  The boy went back to his grandma and said, "Grandpa said we are descended from apes!"  His grandmother answered, "Well, I told you about my side of the family.  Your grandfather has told you about his!"  The whole congregation laughed at that one.  So funny!
I love our congregation, or ward as it is referred to in the LDS church.  We have so many wonderful families!  This last week a sweet friend of mine, Zola Schlerff, died at the age of 96.  She was such a sweet lady.  She always had a smile and even a chuckle waiting for me.  I will miss her.  But I will try harder to be more like her.  I think she is someone who truly loved the Savior and tried hard to be like him.  Last week I had a couple of situations that really tested my patience, but I kept thinking, "How would Zola react to this?"  It really helped me to calm myself and to take a little time to think about how the Savior would want me to act.  Thank you sweet Zola!!!
With so much traveling lately, there is a lot to be done around here...especially with the holidays fast approaching.  So I will have to methodically work through the house and yard to get things done.  My inclination always seems to be to dive in and try to do everything at once.  I might have been more able to do that in a younger time.  But now I am lucky to get one thing done each day.  So I think I will begin at the front door and work my way around the house.  Today will be the front porch.  It is full of debris and weeds that have blown in from the corn field across the street.  It is not as bad as it used to be, but it is still a challenge to keep my porch clean!  Then I think inside I will mop the hallway....if I can keep up enough energy.
So I hope all is happy and well in cyberspace today.  I am still pulling for you!!!!!  HAVVVVVVVVVGW!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Melody

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I loved the story on the apes. I have a grandson that has said he is an atheist; although I don't think he really is.
I like that you said; what would Zola do. Wouldn't it be wonderful if someday someone could say the same thing for us.
Blessings for the thoughts!