Friday, November 21, 2014

Friday....already?

Greetings!  It has been a good day today.  I got up early and went to Weight Watcher's, where I found I had gained a pound...big sigh!!!  Then I went to the bank and the store and came home to clean up the house and get ready for my birthday lunch with my visiting teachers.  They are the best!  Even though it is still a couple of days until my birthday, they took me to lunch at this very nice restaurant in town.  The food was delicious, but the friendship was even better.  I think we sat and talked for a couple of hours.  The waiters were beginning to circle, so we finally had to leave.  We did have such a nice time and it really cheered me.  This weather has been getting to me big time, so it was nice to sit and just visit with good friends.  One of them is also an artist and so I could complain to her how I am in such a slump.  And she understood.  That is so nice.  Especially when I don't really understand myself.
Now I am home, going through the mail.  I had a late payment notice from a company that is supposed to be getting an automatic payment from me, so I called and found out they had the wrong account number.  So I got that straightened out.  I like when I can solve big problems...a little like a Sherlock character, gathering clues and solving mysteries:)  It is funny how much satisfaction I can get from something so small and simple.  Perhaps I missed my vocation...except I don't think I could really solve much in the real world.  I am definitely not Miss Marple.  And besides, wouldn't it be ghastly if every place you happened to frequent, people got murdered?  It is really strange how she and a few other of those sleuth types just happen to be in a place where someone is murdered....over and over and over!  I can understand if you are called to a scene....but what are the odds that you just happen to be there?  Oh well.  I guess these silly shows don't have to make sense.  It is a little like Doc Martin, who, week after week, is faced with life threatening illnesses in a town that is probably only inhabited by a few hundred people.  I guess you aren't supposed to use logic.
Well, I have a little to report on the health scene.  I got a report back on the internet for my thyroid ultrasound.  The write up from the radiologist said that it is consistent with toxic, multinodular goiter.  Of course I had little idea of what that meant, and I don't see my doctor until next week.  So with the amazing resources available to me on the internet, I went on Youtube and watched a medical student lecture on the history and treatment of MNG's (as they are referred to in highly educated medical circles.)  It was about an hour long, and it was fascinating!  I think I know a whole lot more than I did.  Of course I have no idea of the extent or seriousness of mine, but it is kind of cool that I can find things out so easily.  And one thing I have learned is that knowledge is a good coping skill.  It really helps to feel like you know a lot about something that you are essentially powerless to do anything about.  I am hoping my doctor is very able to do something about this, but in the meantime I am coping very well, thank you.  Or at least I am trying to.  And I was able to identify some of the symptoms I have been having as ones shared on the video.  Pretty amazing stuff!
Anyway, I guess life is pretty good for the most part.  I am looking forward to finally reaching my big 65 on Sunday.  It is kind of a mile stone.  I used to think I would die young....when I was young.  I'm glad I was wrong.  It is nice to be officially entering into old age, or at least retirement age, and to be as healthy as I am.  So take care out there in cyberspace!  I am still pulling for you!  We are all in this leaky boat together!  Hold on and HAVVVVVVVVVVVVVGW!!!  Melody

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Awesome we both have November Birthdays.
It is always so fun to go to lunch with friends; one of my favorite activities.
I think your health condition is pretty treatable. I do think that knowing is the best because it get's rid of the fear of the unknown.
Well praying for extra blessings for you!