Thursday, February 26, 2015

Thursday

Good evening!  It's been a good day!  I had a great time with my daughter Kim.  We had breakfast/lunch with our husbands to start the day right.  Then she and her husband and I went and bought an old used pick up truck for them.  After that Kim and I went shopping on our own.  I don't usually like shopping much, but it was fun with Kim.  I found a nice coat on sale.  And she got a sweater and a hat.  Then we went to the Village with the fountain and sat and watched the water while we ate frozen yogurt.  While we were there we met a 90 year old man named Bob Foster who enjoyed telling us all about his life.  He seemed a little lonely, so it was good for us all.  He had a lot of experiences to share about his life and how much he loved Mormon people, though he was a Lutheran himself.  He does listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir every Sunday morning.  Such a nice, interesting man.  He made me think of my dad.
Kim with Bob Foster
This evening, Mel and I have been on the "relative finder".  It is a new app from BYU.  It tells you all of the famous people you are related to.  Apparently Mel and I are cousins, because we are related to so many of the same people.  I am especially pleased to be third cousins with David Bednar.  But I am also distantly related to Thomas S. Monson....and George Washington....and Winston Churchhill!  It's a lot of fun.  You can go there from here.  And then type in your password for the lds church stuff.  If you don't have one you can register.  We have been at this for about an hour and a half!  We also had the ward mission leader here with another brother in the ward for about 45 minutes or so.  We had a nice visit.  Then I showed them my painting.  I am getting braver.  And they seemed to like it.  I like when people like my painting.  Mel wanted me to read my artist statement, but I felt a little shy about that.  So to make up for it, I will share it here.
"I chose to paint the story of Jesus telling His disciples to "Suffer little children" to come unto Him, "for of such is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 19:13-15, Mark 10:13-16, Luke 18:15-17) I especially like the verses in Matthew and Mark where it tells a little of what happened before and after Jesus said this. In Matthew 19:13 it says, "Then were there brought unto Him little children, that He should put his hands on them, and pray..." And then it says in verse 15, "And He laid His hands on them...". And in Mark 10:13 it says, "And they brought young children to Him, that He should touch them..." And in verse 16, "And He took them up in His arms, put His hands upon them, and blessed them." I imagined that there was a mother waiting with her child....hoping that Jesus would touch him and make him well. This mother had heard the stories of Jesus healing people, and she had faith that if the Savior would just touch her child and pray for him that he would be made well again. This story is very close to me. I think Jesus was speaking literally of the Kingdom of Heaven being filled with little children. In the history of the world, before antibiotics and immunizations, so many children died before the age of accountability. I worked with children who had cancer for many years in Candlelighters. My own son was one of them. I wished so many times that I could meet the Savior and He would heal my son. This painting is an expression of that wish."
Anyway, it's been a good day.  I hope it is good in your part of cyberspace this evening!  HAVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVGW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Melody

No comments: