Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Sabbath Is A Delight!!!

Hey there! I thought I should write a little about my experiences today.  It is Sunday, and the choir had the assignment to sing for Sacrament meeting.  We have had a couple of extra practices this last week.  The song is "Savior, Redeemer of My Soul"....a new tune to an old hymn written by Rob Gardner. It is really beautiful.  They used it in the movie, "Seventeen Miracles."  Here's a link to the music....Savior, Redeemer  Anyway, there is a violin part that really makes it gorgeous, but it is a hard part.  I asked a friend in the ward if she thought she could play the violin part...she is a pretty good violinist.  She told me she would try.  She didn't tell me until Wednesday that she also was supposed to talk in church!  So it was kind of amazing that she would do both!!!  Anyway, it has made me nervous.  I had to transpose the music to make it fit with the choir music.  And it was handwritten, so it was hard for her to figure out what I had written to begin with.  Then we had the problem of fitting it to the piano music.  And of course the perpetual problem of getting enough people to come and practice.  We had a pretty good practice this morning a couple of hours before church.  But I was still very worried it would all work.  Then...as we were driving to church, I saw a pelican flying over the lake.  And then several more joined him. It was so beautiful!!!   And Mel said, "Now you don't have to worry.  You know that the Lord is mindful of you."  And it's true.  Whenever life has been very hard, I have been blessed with pelicans.  At least since we have moved out here by the lake.  It was very comforting.  And sacrament meeting was wonderful!  Brenda gave a most beautiful and touching talk about families and the Family Proclamation. (You can read it if you push the link.) And then she played perfectly for our choir number....along with our pianist, Jodell, who always does amazing, and everyone sang perfectly, too.  Our soloist, Ann, also did great!  She has had to practice with her three small children, and I know it has made her nervous too.  So all in all we did super.  The spirit was very strong.  And the words of the song are so beautiful....written by Orson F. Whitney.  You can find them in the hymn book, but here they are if you want to read them.

1. Savior, Redeemer of my soul,
Whose mighty hand hath made me whole,
Whose wondrous pow'r hath raised me up
And filled with sweet my bitter cup!
What tongue my gratitude can tell,
O gracious God of Israel.

2. Never can I repay thee, Lord,
But I can love thee. Thy pure word,
Hath it not been my one delight,
My joy by day, my dream by night?
Then let my lips proclaim it still,
And all my life reflect thy will.

3. O'errule mine acts to serve thine ends.
Change frowning foes to smiling friends.
Chasten my soul till I shall be
In perfect harmony with thee.
Make me more worthy of thy love,
And fit me for the life above.

So it has been a very spiritual Sunday for me.  I forgot to mention that Mel spoke in another ward early this morning for the high counsel.  It was really a good talk.  He does an amazing job.  He worries so much, but it always is good.  He spoke about the importance of keeping the Sabbath Day holy, and included a lot of what Elder Nelson talked about in the last conference.  Another link:)  Delight  I hope it is a good day for you too.  Take care out there in cyberspace!!!  I am definitely still pulling for you!!!!!  HAVVVVVVVVGW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Melody


1 comment:

LeAnn said...

This was such a lovely post. I loved the music. I am so happy that your Sabbath day was awesome and that the choir, violist and soloist good. You know I think that you are blessed when you are trying to make things work out good. I am amazed that you are such a talented artist and musician.
Hugs!