Thursday, September 10, 2015

Mending Hearts

Good morning!  I am being a little lazy today.  Our rec center closed for a remodel so I can't swim for a few days.  It is kind of nice:)
Yesterday was book club.  I love getting together with these old friends.  We have all moved from the places where we first began twenty five or so years ago....except for two.  They still live in their original homes.  The rest of us have moved all over the valley....and one even moved to McCall.  She still comes when she can.  Although she said she would be backpacking with the ladies in her ward this week!  She also said that their ward activities were more adventurous up there!  We do have an active empty nesters group....but thankfully not that active!  And it's a little sad.  I used to love hiking and even backpacking, though I was never too good at carrying a pack around.  Mel and I had to lead a bunch of young girls on a backpacking trek in the Sierras some years back.....way back.  We were in our early forties I guess.  It was fun and miserable.  Fun because the girls were great!  Miserable because we were ill prepared.  There were two other couples leading the girls with us.  One of them were really into backpacking and had dehydrated food and light backpacks.  The church had organized this...well, the young women leaders... and Mel had spaghetti sauce in his backpack....very heavy...enough for twenty girls...and no refrigeration.  So we hiked up with this and then had to throw it out because we were afraid it got too hot hiking.  The girls had to eat what they had brought.  I don't remember too much else about the trek....just that I felt so unprepared.  We were three days with those girls and then another five days in camp.  It was pretty tiring!  There's more to the story but none I care to share.  :)
So back to book club.  We read "The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances".  The story is about the Nazi U-boats that were in the Gulf of Mexico during WWII.  And about a couple of Germans who ended up on the coast....one good, one evil.  I loved the story.  And the author claims it is true.  It was very good about how important it is to forgive others....so that your own soul does not canker.  Pretty good advice!!!  We had such a good discussion!  I love that these women think!!!  I am impressed with how each one of them has grown and matured in the time we have been friends.  Each one of them has had their own set of challenges....and continue to of course as each of us grows older.      Life is definitely a challenge.  And I think it is excellent advice to learn to forgive others.  We only hamper our own growth when we harbor ill will.
Well, I guess I had better get on with my day.  I hope all is happy and bright out in cyberspace!  Take care and HAVVVVVVVVVGrrrrrrrrreatDay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Melody

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I think it is so awesome that you have had the same book club for so many years. It is so nice to have long time friends. I feel blessed to have connected with some dear high school friends since returning to Salt Lake. We meet for lunch fairly often.
I have never been into backpacking at all. I think it would be good to have at least one experience doing something different like that.
Hugs!