Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Election Day

Good morning!  It is election day!  I am not looking forward to it much.  I am not happy with either candidate so I am voting for a third candidate.  Living in Idaho is pretty much a republican win, but I want someone to know that I do not think Donald Trump is a fit candidate.  I cannot vote for him in good conscience.  And I do not agree with too many of the issues of the democratic platform to vote for Hillary Clinton.  So I am voting for Evan McMullin.  I feel good about that.  The other things on the ballot are easier.  I will be glad when today is done.
I haven't been writing much.  Mostly because I have been kind of busy.  But also because it has been a hard few months.  My dad's wife Barbara died July 21 after a prolonged battle with pulmonary fibrosis.  That was hard but expected.  Tragically her daughter Adele was killed in a train accident 5 days later.  That really threw us all!  It was very sad and unexpected.  She had stopped her car on the train tracks to help a stray dog, and I guess did not expect the train to come just then.  She was 62.  I didn't know her well, but it was still a shock.  And my dad was really affected by it all.  We both had caught a very bad flu a few days before Barb passed away, so it was extra difficult.  My dad was so sick and sad.  We came back to Idaho the next week because I thought he might find comfort in being back in his own home....which he did.  But it has taken a lot out of him.  My sister Joy lives there with him, and has taken on most of his care.  But I go over every day to visit and help out.  I really worry now about him.  He has gotten so much more weak and frail.  It is hard to see.  He has a great positive attitude though.  He is always joking and happy.  And singing!  I usually take him out for a short ride each day, and he loves to sing along with Frank Sinatra, or Ella Fitzgerald.  He is still a jazz musician in his heart.  He is an inspiration to me of how to grow old gracefully.  He loves to tell me about how amazing life is!  And he is right.  It is amazing in every way.
I am kind of excited this week, as I found a book about reversing type 2 diabetes.  It is called, "The End of Diabetes."  It is by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.  It is a plant based way of eating.  I have been doing it for a little over a week, and have had to lower my dose of insulin by more than half.  I feel great!  And I am also losing weight, which is a plus!  He claims that within a couple of months you can be off meds for diabetes and within a year be completely free of diabetic symptoms.  I think it may work!  At least it is for me so far.  And I feel full and not craving chocolate or sugar or any of the other things that usually call to me when I am trying to eat right.  I also like that it falls within the guidelines of the Word of Wisdom...a tenant of my faith.  I feel much more energetic.  And....an unexpected bonus is that my knees are hurting less!  It is supposed to help arthritis....and in my case it  is certainly doing that.
Well, the day is beginning and I must away!  HAVVVVVVGW!  Melody

3 comments:

Jeri Pettingill said...

I love reading your blog even when I am in Idaho too. I am so sorry for the many challenges your dad must face. He is setting a good example for the rest of us to follow.

How wonderful that you are finding good results with your new eating choices. Lewis and I decided before we left Ecuador to try a "Whole Food Plant Based Diet" for a month. We were motivated by Jane Birch on Meridian Magazine. At the end of the month we decided to continue and have seen great results. It took a while to change my mind about what a meal should look like but now we are happily eating our food storage and a ton of fresh (or frozen) produce and doing great. Lewis is no longer diabetic and I am a lot smaller and happier. It is a wonderful blessing to see what was in Section 89 all along and then choose to follow it.

singing/granny said...

I am so encouraged to hear that Lewis has overcome diabetes! I didn't think it was possible, but I know now that it certainly is. And I agree that section 89 is full of wisdom. I feel so blessed! I keep thinking about "hidden treasures of knowledge." And I wonder what other amazing things are in store:)

LeAnn said...

I have really missed you posting. I feel sad to hear about all that your Dad and family has gone through with Barbara's passing. You have had some really challenges. I can't imagine a mother dieting and then 5 days later the daughter. However, in the eternal view; it is kind of sweet they will be together in the Spirit World. I am glad you are back home.
Thanks for sharing your thought on diabetes. My husband is a pre-diabetic and I think I will get this book. We need to make better changes in our diet. He takes a medication but sometimes his blood sugars are up in the diabetic area and it is a concern.
I do hope our Dad does well and that you can continue to enjoy precious moments with him.
I voted like you; I couldn't vote for those two. It's all so strange but somewhat prophecy in the making.
Blessings and hugs for you dear friend.